Haven on SyFy, was one of my favorite shows over the years that recently ended on the SyFy channel. I was a dedicated fan over the years and found myself really connecting with some of the characters.
So Haven ended with a 2-episdode series finale. How do I think they did, wrapping it all up? Not bad. I think it gave closure to a certain extent, but felt there were a few gaps that could have been filled as well.
If you are reading past this line, read at your own risk. Some of the following statements may contain spoilers, and if you haven’t seen the ending, I do not want to ruin it for you.
Having William Shatner play Croatoan was a great casting choice. He added a little sophistication to the role of an evil entity. Trying to convince everyone that his plan would benefit so many people, was not an easy sell, since it would eventually hurt so many people. He tried to give Dwight and Nathan exactly what they wanted if they stopped interfering with his plan, and was also trying to make his daughter Audrey, happy by giving Nathan a life with an exact duplicate of her.
Despite Nathan turning Croatoan down, Croatoan sent Nathan away anyway with a copy of Audrey, but he, and so did the copy figure out that something was wrong, and found themselves returning to Haven, which was hid from the rest of the world.
Crocker was under Croatoan’s control during this whole time, and he was stopping people who was interfering with his plan, and also collecting “troubles” that would benefit Croatoan’s plan to take over the world.
So what were some of the things I didn’t like?
- They had to kill Crocker in order for Croatoan to stop getting “troubles” from him, since he was under his control. While this was not a problem to the story line, towards the end, Croatoan ended up having a change of heart, and help ended the “troubles” by going into the barn. I just felt that Crocker had a senseless death, since in reality he wouldn’t have had to die after all.
- That Audrey also had to go away in the barn, to help power it to keep Croatoan, and help end the “troubles” forever. Nathan did everything he could to get back to her, only to lose her again.
- That Dwight got to keep his daughter, even though she was something that Croatoan had created, just because he believed that she could stay, even though Croatoan went away.
- That Nathan would re-unite with an incarnation of Audrey, even though she was stuck in the barn. While it was not exactly Audrey, it was enough of her inside that would spark the love than Nathan and her had.
- The town was finally free of all the “troubles” and that the townspeople we finally free of all the horrible energy and evil that had plagued their lives.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."