Deck Your Halls for Pennies This Season
Okay – so maybe you have to spend more than a couple of pennies. But truthfully, with some amazing finds from Goodwill, you can decorate for the holiday season very frugally. Whether you are just starting out in your first apartment or starting from scratch due to unforeseen circumstances, your local Goodwill store will have plenty of fantastic items for the picking.
The holiday season is stressful enough without having to think about the hundreds of dollars you might spend when you hit up your local chain retailer for those holiday decorations. So just say no and use the Goodwill locator to find the store (or stores, if you’re lucky) that are nearest you.
And not only can you find thrifty bargains on some beautiful and unique items at Goodwill, but you are also helping Goodwill’s mission to put people in your local community to work!
Collectively, over 313,000 people in the United States and Canada connected with jobs or earned employment using Goodwill organizations’ career services programs this past year. And more than that – tens of millions access the Goodwill education, training, and online learning services that Goodwill offers to strengthen their job training skills. As a non-profit, they are dedicated to helping create jobs and providing on-the-job training for many who would find employment opportunities scarce without Goodwill’s help.
Tips to help you find the best and most unique bargains for your holiday decorating at Goodwill:
- Shop the entire store – You will likely find things all over the store, not just a seasonal isle, that can be used for décor.
- Throw blankets, pillows, table runners, etc… are items that can be used seasonally and year-round.
- Candle holders are a great year-round item that can also be used for different seasons.
- Dishes, serving platters, and cups are usually found within that section, even when they are seasonal, so don’t skip this section!
- Photos and wall décor are usually within its own section, but you can find some great seasonal and non-seasonal stuff to decorate your walls.
- Be willing to buy something if you love it, regardless of the season, because you can repurpose anything you find to fit your needs.
Some items that I have found (and purchased) for holiday decorating that you can be on the lookout for:
- Serving dishes
- Cups and plates
- Tree ornaments
- Porcelain Santas, Angels, and other unique items
- Garland and other misc holiday items
Have you used Goodwill as your go-to store for decorating for any season? If so, share your finds with us on social media using the hashtag #ShopGoodwill!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."